01 January 2009

100% by volume

100% by volume

since you've left, i've turn to alcoholism
as a rebound girlfriend.
we have each others' numbers in our phones

but she's disgusting
and a manipulative bitch, i'm sorry to say it,
and you were so much nicer.

since i drove away, i've taken to smoking
far, far too much
which you really have to make an effort to accomplish

since you can't smoke anywhere these days.

since you let go, i am letting go
of the precipice
and plummeting down to
where the tourists rent burros and
people take pictures.



notes: wrote this a couple months ago, actually. no, i'm not turning into an alcoholic. :) it's imagery, mostly. i don't really even bother buying alcohol; the most i have in my apartment is a bottle of knob creek bourbon and a tiny bit of jack daniel's whiskey. don't forget that G-d is a great superhero when you're falling into the void of loneliness.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/1/09 19:06

    I like this a lot. It's less spoken-wordish than some of your older stuff, so it's more accessible to read on the page (at least for me). And I appreciate the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. at first, it felt pretty short- almost too short.

    but the more i read over it, the more i like it. it's succinct, to the point, and still doesn't really compromise what i want to say. brevity is, of course, not common with my pieces. :)

    i still have a couple pieces buzzing around the back of my head so keep an eye out for them over the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's odd to read this type of thing mixed between all the spiritual things you write. it just seems like two different people

    ReplyDelete
  4. doesn't it, though? sometimes i wonder if that's what cs lewis felt at times- reading over his essays from when he was an atheist, going "that was ME?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. but i wanted to portray an honest picture of my life. the good and the bad, my ups and downs, my piety and sins (for after all, i am but a bunch of shambled, dirty rags in the light of His holy shrouds!).

    someone once challenged me to "be so honest it hurts" and i take this to mean a couple things.. hurts your own feelings, hurts your reputation. it's a radical way of living and really ends up being a beautiful thing- you find out who your true friends are REALLY quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/1/09 18:17

    I think it's awesome. When I was younger I had all these aspirations of being able to put words together in ways that made people say, "Wow." I have to say that you totally re-inspire that in me whenever I read something of yours or see some of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete

play nicely.